[tex-live] TL 2009 not installing URW Garamond ?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 12:27:43 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:
> Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>>
>> I notice that after completing the installation of
>> TL 2009, re-compiling the Porphyrogenitus lexicon
>> fails because of missing URW Garamond (URW Garamond
>> was added locally after the installation of TL 2008).
>>
>> I also notice that this has been reported elsewhere [1].
>>
>> Is this an oversight, and if so, could it please be corrected ?
>>
>> ** Phil.
>> --------
>> [1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1187237
>>

> AFAIR that font is not 'free' as en possible to resell,
>
> it is usually installed using
>
> getnonfreefonts-sys
>
> (or something similar), at least that was how it was installed on my netbook
> this weekend.

Yes.  This is in the documentation, although a bit of effort is needed to follow
the trail.  "texdoc mathdesign" gets mathdesign-doc.pdf, which refers you to
a README for the font info, which then tells you that the font in question is
in the non-free section of CTAN.  The you have to know that getnonfreefonts
is the tool to use.

>> Jaunty: texlive not installing URW-Garamond correctly?
>> I'm trying to get mathdesign with the URW-Garamond font installed on
>> Jaunty with texlive. If I remember, on Ibex, it was sufficient to install
>> texlive-fonts-extra and things would be sorted, and indeed when searching
>> for Garamond with apt-cache search texlive-fonts-extra is returned.
>>
>> Having installed texlive-fonts-extra, and trying to compile my document
>> with
>>
>>    \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>>    \usepackage[urw-garamond]{mathdesign}
>>
>> in the preamble, all the fonts appear corrupted. pdfLaTeX complains in the
>> output that:
>>
>> pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file ugmm8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file
>> for reading
>> pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file ugmr8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file
>> for reading
>> pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file ugmri8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file
>> for reading
>>
>> So, what's going on, and how can I fix this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>

> --
>
> /daleif

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia