[tex-live] natbib broken?

Edd Barrett vext01 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 13:08:58 CEST 2009

Hi tex-live at tug.org,

(the author of natbib is also CC'd)

I am working on packaging tl-2009 and have hit a problem with natbib.

test.tex:
---8<---
documentclass{article}

\usepackage{natbib}

\begin{document}

\bibliographystyle{plainnat}

test123\citep{LLVM}

\nocite{*}
\bibliography{ref}

\end{document}
---8<---

ref.bib:
---8<---
@ARTICLE{LLVM,
        author = "Some Person",
        organisation = "{LLVM Web Team}",
        title = "{The Low Level Virtual Machine Compiler Infrastructure Web Page}",
        url = "http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/",
        year = "2009",
        note = "Accessed on 11th February 2009"
}

---8<---

snippet of output (pdflatex):
---8<---
Document Class: article 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
(/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/natbib/natbib.sty) (./test.aux

! Package natbib Error: Bibliography not compatible with author-year
citations.

(natbib)                Press <return> to continue in numerical citation
style.

See the natbib package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.7 ...mmand\NAT at force@numbers{}\NAT at force@numbers
---8<---

The reference in question was one take from my dissertation which used
to work well in TL-2008. I even added the author "Some Person", just to
check it didn't require an author field.

This error is reported on the internet here:
http://www.latex-community.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=4034

As they suggested, I tried \listfiles:

---8<---
 *File List*
 article.cls    2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
  size10.clo    2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX file (size option)
  natbib.sty    2009/07/16 8.31 (PWD, AO)
 ***********
---8<---

I am using the 20091009 distributors tarball on OpenBSD.

It seems that this is the most recent version of natbib.

As a test, I put the texlive 2008 natbib.sty and plainnat.bst files in
my ~/texmf and updated my lsr's. Everything worked as expected.

Looks like the new version of natbib is broken.

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://students.dec.bmth.ac.uk/ebarrett