[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Alexander Cherepanov cherepan at mccme.ru
Sat Oct 10 15:04:53 CEST 2009

Hi All!
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 00:48:49 +0400, "Alexander Cherepanov" <cherepan at mccme.ru> wrote:

> It seems you have reproduced the original problem with "rsync -avz".
> Maybe you could try with "rsync -rt" (from the empty dir)?

I've got to a WinXP machine myself and reproduced the problem with
plain cygwin rsync. First, it seems to be a bug in cygwin rsync: rsync
sets strange permissions when instructed not to preserve original
permissions. The following test illustrates it:

  $ touch a
  $ cp a b
  $ rsync a c
  $ ls -og ?
  -rw-rw-rw- 1 0 Oct 10 16:14 a
  -rw-rw-rw- 1 0 Oct 10 16:14 b
  ----rw---- 1 0 Oct 10 16:14 c

According to man page rsync in such a case should behave the same as other
file-copy utilities.

As a result "rsync -r" on cygwin just makes downloaded files
unreadable. I see two solutions -- either make rsync not touch
permissions at all via "set CYGWIN=nontsec" or make it preserve the
permissions of the source files. The former works great, the latter
leads us to the next problem.

Windows seems to want execute permissions for .manifest and .dll
files. It is probably better to correct this in the repo with a comand
like this (from a suitable dir):

  find -name '*.manifest' -o -name '*.dll' | xargs chmod +x

Or it could be corrected on the fly (for all files, not only for .manifest
and .dll) with --chmod option for rsync. Start rsync command with the
following options:

  rsync -rtp --chmod +x ...

(recursive, preserve modtimes and permissions, assume execute permission
for all files).

Alexander Cherepanov