[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Oct 9 22:57:30 CEST 2009

    This is true : I used the exact incantation recommended
    in the Pretest documentation : -r --delete --exclude ...

Which I subsequently changed to -a instead of -r, but my understanding
from perusing these many messages is that neither one works on Windows.

With -r, the files that are supposed to be executable aren't.

With -a, the special Windows permissions, apparently in combination with
our manifest files, result in "access denied".

Conclusion: rsync cannot be usefully used to mirror TL 2009.

What's different from your successful experience with rsync in 2008 is
the addition of the manifest files.  But we have no choice about
including them, or everything fails on Vista/W7.  As I understand it.