[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 16:48:15 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:
> George N. White III a écrit :
>> MiKTeX 2.8 can use a mirror on a disk, but does not support installs
>> from ad-hoc URL's.  TL seems to reverse this.   I think this reflects
>> the differences in the two development platforms more than any
>> fundamental limitation, and there are likely ways to work around the
>> issues.
>>
> ??? I regularly install from a local mirror without using my local http server,
> and already did so on windows too. From install-tl --help
>
>      -repository url|path
>           Specify the package repository to be used as the source of the
>           installation, either a local directory via "/path/to/directory" or
>           a "file:/" url, or a network location via a "http://" or "ftp://"
>           url.  (No other protocols are supported.)
>      [...]
>
> Did you actually try? If so, what went wrong?

What went wrong is the point of this thread.  It is Philip (in his best
"Chris Freshman" mode) who tried most recently using XP.   Issues:

0.  lack of robust free mirroring tools to create the local files with
     appropriate permissions (documentation should provide advice)

1.  conflicts with remnants of older versions of TL (probably affects
     network installs as well, and may not be an issue if future upgrades
     are handled by installer).

2.  dealing with incorrect permissions (since this is likely to be a
     common problem, an installer needs to provide useful guidance
     if it can't just repair permissions)

3.  differences between windows versions (.manifest file needed for
     recent versions)

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia