[tex-live] [XeTeX] fontmap warnings (on TexLive 2009)

Steven Woody narkewoody at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 16:38:01 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 9:51 PM, Ken Brown <kbrow1i at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/9/2009 9:22 AM, Steven Woody wrote:
>
>> Yes, after reset the permissions, the windows installer starts up!
>> And, I am wondering that if the problem I encountered with cygwin
>> version of TL'2009 also has something to do with the permissions?
>>

> I don't think so.  The latest log file that you posted still showed errors
> suggesting a corrupt pdftex.map file.  My guess is that you didn't delete
> all the corrupt files from your first installation before reinstalling.
>
> Karl,
>
> Maybe the installation instructions should give the user some advice about
> what to do if their installation becomes corrupt and they have to reinstall.
>  Here are two things that come to mind:
>
> 1. If your installation becomes corrupt and you decide to reinstall, be
> sure to completely remove your old installation first.  For example:
>
> > rm -rf /usr/local/texlive/2009
> > rm -rf ~/.texlive2009
>
> 2. If you have an unreliable network connection, you probably shouldn't try
> to install the full scheme right away.  You can always get it later by
> running 'tlmgr install scheme-full'.
>
> Ken

Cheers! I finally successfully installed the windows binaries of TL'2009, it
now works well with my cygwin1.7.  And, I even find that my xelatex
generated Chinese articles looks more beautiful (clear) than before :)
This story is actually funny.  I in the past installed a TL2009 on my new
installed computer, but it doesn't work for some reason, then I posted a
message on the net, some people suggested me not use win32 TeXLive with
cygwin, he said I should use cygwin version of TeXLive, and the only
possible of the solution is cygwin1.7 + TL'2009.  So, I hardly uninstalled
my cygwin 1.5 and TL'2008.  However, finally, I get two thing after all of
your kind help:

1. I come back to windows version of TeXLive, that works but cygwin version
of TeXLive does not.
2. I already found the the cause of the original problem that cause my
TL'2008 fail, it is because the TL'2008 default install it self to "Program
Files", the space in the path name lead the problem that I met.

So, the conclusion is that: TL'200X for windows are actually okay, and I
almost come back to the origin :)

Ken,

It's hard to believe that I don't remove the old installation when I begin
to do a new one, since I've tried many times (at least two).  Anyway, I have
another computer, I will find some time to do another try.

Thanks for all your helps!

Regards,
narke

   -- Schopenhauer