[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 9 15:52:32 CEST 2009

2009/10/9 Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk>:
> (On the other hand, *why* are the TL team wanting
> installation not to run as Administrator? The usual rule is install as
> Admin, use as a non-privileged user. I don't quite get this.)

Then you also need to run updates with admin privs or they will fail
on Vista, where you normally run unelevated even on admin accounts.

We had a long internal discussion about it and we decided that
defaulting to a  single user installation that is outside of
%ProgramFiles% gives the best changes of trouble-free installation on
all supported Windows versions. Of course, admin installs are still
possible, they are just not done by default any more.

Cheers,

Tomek