[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Oct 9 13:35:41 CEST 2009

T T a écrit :
> 2009/10/9 Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr>:
>> If we can identify a reliable method for getting a local mirror on
>> windows (I tend to think a simple ftp client would do for a on-time
>> mirror, ie without synchronization) and document it somewhere, I think
>> that would be good.
>
> I regularly use wget for that purpose. I have a batch that updates my
> local repository. My script is a bit involved because I only pull a
> subset of tlnet that I have installed but mirroring the whole thing
> could be done with single line incantation:
>
> wget -m -nH -np --retr-symlinks --cut-dirs=1 -R "index.html*,mactex-*"
> ftp://host-address/texlive/tlnet

Nice (I tried getting a copy with wget some time ago, but finding the good
options is not that easy). I think this command line should be put somewhere in
the online documentation (probably acquire.html).

(I was about to point out that wget is not exactly a standard windows tool, but
neither rsync anyway.)

Btw, if we only want to download once without synchronizing, any ftp client (I
mean, even graphical ones) does the trick. I tried with filezilla some time ago,
worked out of the bow in two clicks.

Maybe the online documentation should mention wget and other ftp clients first
as means of obtaining a local copy of tlnet, and rsync only latter, since it is
more for expert users who want to maintain an up-to-date copy of tlnet while
minimizing bandwidth use.

Manuel.