[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 9 13:13:22 CEST 2009

T T <t34www at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2009/10/9 Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr>:
> > Joseph Wright a écrit :
> >> 2) Although there are lots of Windows users, most of them are likely to
> >> use MiKTeX if they want a TeX system.
> >
> > I don't quite agree. I mean, you're right that most of them do, but we spent
> > quite a lot of time trying to get windows support right, it would be a pity to
> > say that people should just use MiKTeX after all these efforts.
>
> If forum posts are any indication, MiKTeX installation is no near
> trouble-free either. And we have spent a lot of effort this year to
> properly support Vista madness, we might be even better on this
> account than MiKTeX.

which is not to detract from the sterling work that christian does.

either way, tex live has some ground to catch up, in popular
imagination: few people (out there) believe that tex live is a
viable option for the non-expert windows user.

this is where (istm that) phil's contribution can be so useful: if tl
can work for phil in his stroppiest mood ;-), a campaign to push it as a
valid alternative stands some chance of winning.

robin