[tex-live] SyncTeX should always write absolute paths

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Oct 3 09:59:38 CEST 2009

Philipp Stephani <st_philipp at yahoo.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> probably this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm unsure who exactly is
> responsible for SyncTeX in TeX Live. However, I think that SyncTeX
> should always output absolute paths. The current behavior is to write
> relative paths for the input files, which breaks inverse search e.g.
> in Skim when a different output directory is set via -output-
> directory. I could easily fix this by having my build script replace
> all input paths with absolute paths. It would be great if SyncTeX
> wrote absolute paths right from the beginning.

I don't think that this is a good idea, with the possible exception of
-output being specified as an absolute path, but even then I am not
sure.  Why don't you run Skim with the same current directory as TeX?
You don't need to have its current directory be the output directory, do
you?

The problem with absolute paths is that moving the TeX directory
anywhere else (USB stick, separate mount points, zip here, unpack there)
will break things.

--
David Kastrup