[tex-live] Please don't assume case sensitive file system

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Oct 1 00:38:03 CEST 2009

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> The root of the evil is that Microsoft doesn't support ASCII (yet)
> (while the rest of the world strives after UTF-8).

I think you are being a little disingenuous, Reinhard.
VAX/VMS not only supported ASCII, it supported case-
sensitive and case-insensitive searching, /and/
diacritic-sensitive and diacritic-insensitive searching,
while at the same time implementing a case-insensitive
file system.

The latter was a design decision (i.e., intentional),
not an artifact or a result of any inability to
"support ASCII".

** Phil.