[tex-live] texi2dvi missing

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 25 18:40:54 CET 2009

George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
>
> > On Mi, 25 Nov 2009, George N. White III wrote:
> >> $ tlmgr show --list collection-texinfo
> > ..
> >> longdesc:   TeX macros for the GNU Texinfo documentation system.  The
> >> programs and documentation are no longer distributed with TeX Live;
> >> get the original Texinfo package for your system.
> >
> > 100% right.
> >
> >> If you are on *x you can get texinfo utilities from the vendor/distro.
> >
> > 100% right.
> >
> >>    The reasons
> >> were discussed on this list -- there were conflicts with other
> >> "install-info" programs
> >> as well as license issues:
> >>
> >> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=356916>
> >
> > 0% right.
> >
> > There is NO license problem with respect to including texinfo into
> > TeX Live at all. We (TeX Live hat on) accept GFDL. OTOH, for Debian
> > (Debian hat on) GFDL is not free enough.
>
> I stand corrected, but this leaves the OP's question "why?" unanswered.

indeed, i think it creates more questions.  do we now expect tl to start
dropping things that debian doesn't like, to make life easier for
debian?

i work hard on cataloguing people's licences, but only because it seems
to be useful.  if it's to be used to clamp down, maybe i should leave it
the debian people to do all this work?  i certainly wouldn't like to
make other people's petulant attitude to licences easier to maintain.

robin