[tex-live] TL vs CTAN

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 14:55:23 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Heiko Oberdiek
<oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> hyperref.dtx, backref.dtx, nameref.dtx are the sources,
> the link goes to the typeset form of the dtx documents.
>
> Yours sincerely
>  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>

Yes!

Now let us look at the very first page of hyperref.pdf (NOT to bookmarks)

[hyperref.dtx] This is the source code documentation for hyperref (this file).
[backref.dtx] "Back referencing from bibliographical citations"
[nameref.dtx] "Section name references in LATEX"

where what is in brackets is bold and blue as hyperlink should be. But
 [hyperref.dtx] is a link to hyperref.pdf
not to hyperef.dtx.  So my question is: why it is labelled this way?
Why not just [hyperref] ? Why it is referred as a source? Or was it
supposed to be a link to hyperref.dtx (as link to itself it is rather
senseless)

But the second link is not supposed to be to backref.dtx for sure!

Exactly the same you can find  on the first page of backref.pdf but
here sentence

[hyperref.dtx] This is the source code documentation for hyperref (this file)

is contradictory as "this file" is now not hyperref.pdf but backref.pdf

I know a lot of people who would be really confused!

OT: how looking on hyperlink in pdf document one can learn the
supposed target without attempting to go to this target (as target
could be nonexistent)?

Best, Victor