[tex-live] TL vs CTAN

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 16 11:40:09 CET 2009

Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW looking on the packages listed I realized that some authors are
> pretty resourceful in hiding version numbers or dates and licensing
> info. If going through this was my day jobs I would be really unhappy
> (to put it in a polite way). May be some guidelines are needed?

tell me about it...

the consolation is that there are seldom as many as 6 to update in a
day.

guidelines may help, but since people regularly don't even read the
instruction that says "provide a README file"...

i really don't know how to put this information across.  i was at a uk
tug meeting on saturday, where we did a workshop on disseminating
(la)tex information.  i came away having convinced myself (again) that
there really *aren't* any straightforward solutions.  perhaps we can do
better, but it's not clear to me _how_ we might (uk tug is going to
continue working in this area; if anything comes up, i shall spring into
action and totter, snail like, over the wasteland of failed attempts to
produce a better this, a better that, and a better the other.)

robin