[tex-live] tl2009 with basic scheme

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 13 01:21:38 CET 2009

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> On 11 November 2009 Leo wrote:
>
>  > I don't know what's going on but installing ec package solves the
>  > problem.
>
> why did you install the ec package at all if you don't know what's
> going on?

why not?  the fact was, it was the right thing to do (fsvo "right").

i've complained about this behaviour of [t1]{fontenc} before -- seems
completely ridiculous to me.  it could be solved within the lmfonts
package, but the real problem is fontenc insisting on selecting a font
rather than waiting for \begin{document}

> A Polish friend once told me that at Moscow Airport he was accosted
> by a charwoman.  He doesn't speak Russian but he was able to say that
> he didn't understand anything, at least.  The charwoman then asked:
>
>   "How can you tell me in Russian that you don't speak Russian?".

i can say i don't speak the language in most of the languages i
supposedly "learned" at school.  indeed, i learned profane russian too:
"for god's sake, speak english".  it's a natural thing to want to learn,
but some school teachers refuse to teach it.  can't imagine why not...

robin