[tex-live] a little experience with TL 09

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Wed Nov 11 21:41:47 CET 2009

yesterday and today a local student organisation helped installing TL09
on several users laptops. (after they gave a great Intro talk about LaTeX)

I had previously downloaded/rsync'ed tlnet to several USB sticks and
provided them as installation medias (in ealier years we have had bad
experiences with mass installation from DVDs so we didn't try this year)

On my testing laptop installation from the USB took ~7 min under Linux
Mint 7 and ~20 min under Win XP.

Most users were using Windows Vista plus a few XPs

Installation from USB was quickly abandoned as it took too long (and
because of the limited number of USB sticks).

Instead tlnet was copied to disk and the users installed from this.

Installation speeds range between 20 to 80 minutes

I think it is rather interesting that it takes so long time for it to
install under Vista. (bad I/O handling?)

Regarding TeXWorks:

* all users was introduced to TeXWorks as their first editor.

* they seemed happy with it, very interested in the synctex feature.

* One problem though: Several times when a new user started TeXWorks,
wrote a sample doc and wanted to save it, the 'save as' dialogue box
started in C:/windows/system32 (or something similar) and then TeXWorks
would crash.

Usually things went back to normal after a reboot, but not great for a
first impression.

/daleif