[tex-live] TeX Live 2009 in the press and in the blogs

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at GMX.DE
Tue Nov 10 23:06:07 CET 2009

First of all, I also would like to say thank you to everyone who has
contributed to the new release of TeX Live. It is good to have a new
version at hand that is up to date again.

I have searched the web for reports on the release of TL 2009, and I
would like to share some links that I know of with you.

As last year, I have published an overview of the new features in TL2009
at German Heise Newsticker which was published yesterday:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/TeX-Distribution-TeX-Live-2009-veroeffentlicht-853680.html
There will probably also be a brief notice in the next issue of c't
magazine due to be published in two weeks time.

This article was translated into Polish. Contrary to last year,
unfortunately there was no translation into English:
http://www.heise-online.pl/newsticker/news/item/Ukazala-sie-dystrybucja-TeX-Live-2009-854835.html

Heise's German counterpart Golem today has more or less copied this
article and has published a shorter version of it:
http://www.golem.de/0911/71082.html

Then, I still found a report in Russian which links to a blog post (also
in Russian):
http://www.rosinvest.com/news/617097/
http://www.linux.org.ru/view-message.jsp?msgid=4219322

And I also have also found what looks like a blog posting in Japanese at
ZDNet:
http://builder.japan.zdnet.com/member/u48681/blog/2009/11/10/entry_27035326/

As I speak neither Russian nor Japanese, I cannot say anything about the
latter two, but the buzz words spelt in latin characters appear very
much familiar anyway. Apologies for that.

Some bloggers have also mentioned the release, some were more, some were
less eloquent. Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard has published the most
comprehensive article on TL2009 in French by far:
http://weblog.elzevir.fr/2009/11/tex-live-2009-est-sortie/

while Joseph Wright and Stefan Kottwitz have also contributed blog posts
in English and in German:
http://www.texdev.net/2009/11/09/tex-live-2009-released/
http://texblog.net/latex-archive/news/tex-live-2009/
http://texblog.net/latex-archive/german/tex-live-2009-de/

The Daily BSD points out that TL now also comes with NetBSD binaries:
http://thedailybsd.org/?p=1105

Now, I must say that I am still somewhat disappointed about the fact
that the Linux and the other free software magazines apparently did not
feature TL2009, but, on the other hand, this seems to be by far the
release that has been most widely reported ever since I have been
following TeX development.

If you know about other blog posts or any kind of noteworthy reports
would you please let me (and the list) know.

Regards,
Jürgen.