[tex-live] Install font in Mandriva 2009.1

Bob Plantz plantz at cds1.net
Thu May 28 19:35:26 CEST 2009

I am trying to install LuxiMono in my Mandriva texlive system. I've done it
several times in Ubuntu, but the Mandriva documentation is lacking. And
following Ubuntu as an example is iffy because it uses "the Debian way" of
doing things.

Mandriva has a package, texlive-texmf-usrlocal that creates the
/usr/local/share/texmf/ directory. This seems like a good place to base my
Luximono installation.

However, in texmf.cnf I see
     TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/../texmf-local
which clearly does not correspond to what texlive-texmf-usrlocal did for me.

Should I hard code this path as
    TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/local/share/texmf

Aside: what does SELFAUTOPARENT resolve to? I read that it's where the
binaries are located. Does that mean "/usr/bin" ?

I've also read (in Lehman's "The Font Installation Guide") that I should
change the order of

TEXMF = {$TEXMFCONFIG,$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!
$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFDIST}

TEXMF = {$TEXMFCONFIG,$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!
$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFDIST}

Am I headed in the right direction?