[tex-live] incorrect reference to "Nimbus" font in "download35.map"

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon May 11 02:39:38 CEST 2009

2009/5/11 George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>:

> I have encountered instances where someone has renamed the URW fonts to
> use Karl Berry's names for Adobe fonts -- it is complicated trying to
> ensure that
> old documents can be formatted and viewed on current systems, so people
> often end up using URW fonts when they specify the Adobe names.   On
> WIndows one ends up getting Arial or Calibri when  the orginal document called
> for Helvetica.  If you have

And this is really dangerous. Adobe specifications say that
Times-Roman, Helvetica, Courier and a few other fonts have to be
identical everywhere. In fact they are different even in different
versions of Adobe Acrobat. I relied that there is just on Times-Roman.
The result of this misbelief was that accents created by means of a
virtual font were shifted two characters to the right and almost all
interword spaces disappeared. If you send a few houndred pages to a
phototypesetter, you lose quite a lot of money if you believe that
Helvetica is Helvetica...

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/