[tex-live] Unicode font support

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sun May 3 01:38:55 CEST 2009

On  2 May, 2009, at 16:08, Timothy Legg wrote:

> Thanks to all whom helped me produce my first DVI file since I left
> college years ago!
>
> I just have a minor issue.  I am trying to produce a document that
> is not in English and, other than punctuation, has no Latin
> characters.  Need I mention, the document was a few hundred pages
> shorter than I had expected.
>
> I have a TTF file that has the characters I want to have.
>
> I found some directories with TTF files in them,
>
> for example:
> ./2008/texmf-dist/doc/fonts/fonetika/

[...]

As Zdenek said, you should use texmf-local...

> So I can copy the file into one of these directories, but how would
> I ensure that it will find/use it?

Ah! Here is the problem! It's really not simple (but there is an easy
solution ---see below). First, to use it in standard (pdf)LaTeX, see
(a bit outdated but good):

http://www.radamir.com/tex/ttf-tex.htm

then, for the official guides, in your Terminal,

texdoc fntguide

and

texdoc fontinst

the latter should open

/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-doc/doc/english/Type1fonts/
fontinstallationguide.pdf

Now ---the easy solution: XeTeX (you already have it); see examples at

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=xetex

For documentation, texdoc xetex  and  texdoc fontspec

Best,

Axel