[tex-live] svn-multi problem after today's TL update

CTAN maintainer Jim Hefferon ftpmaint at alan.smcvt.edu
Fri Mar 27 14:03:44 CET 2009

Robin Fairbairns said:
> Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>> I failed to notice that the new svn-multi.dtx writes svn-multi.pl, but
>> the .pl was also present in the CTAN directory.  That takes special
>> handling.  I hope I repaired it for tonight's update.
>>
>> Robin, seems like it would be cleaner not to have the .pl there, or in
>> general, anything generated by the .dtx?  Other packages in a similar
>> situation (at one point, anyway, can't guarantee about current versions)
>> are bullcntr, ctable, polski, and psfragx.

> most definitely.  but there are __so__ many authors who know __hugely__
> more about distribution than you or any of us, that we've given up doing
> any more than saying that these things are confusing and we would prefer
> it otherwise.

I'll chip in, since I am the guilty party.  I thought that people would
not look for the .pl in the .dtx and so I left it in the dir.  I
shouldn't have done that.  Sorry.

Many authors (and obviously sometimes me) have the mind-set that we are
holding materials for distribution one-package-at-a-time to the general
TeXing public.  It is hard to explain (or even get it straight
sometimes) that distribution straight from the archive to the user is
not typical at this point.