[tex-live] install-tl with network location, but without sneaky updates?

Marc Herbert Marc.Herbert at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:11:17 CET 2009

Lars Madsen a écrit :
> what exactly is "sneaky updates"?

The fact that the 2008 "release" is not a release but constantly evolving, as you can see here (look at the "Last modified" timestamps): <http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/archive/?C=M;O=D>

> why can't you run install-tl on each system

This is what I tried, but it gave me different software every day.

> could you please explain in a bit more details what it is you want to do
> because I do not understand your question.

I am just trying to install some _constant_ 2008 release, so all my hosts run the *exact same* software. I can reach my goal by burning many TeX Live 2008 DVDs, shipping them to all my hosts, and ask people around the world to run the installer from it. Since this approach is neither very fast nor scriptable, I looked at the network installer instead.

> run tlmgr to update on each

I cannot, because I do NOT want my hosts to install the random "software of the day". I want all my hosts (past and future) settled on some given software version and not move from it.

This is a very common system administration practice to be honest. For instance all operating systems allow this.