[tex-live] install-tl with network location, but without sneaky updates?

Marc Herbert Marc.Herbert at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 17:20:30 CET 2009

>>  My goal is simple: perform multiple network installations (for
>> multiple hosts), strictly identical to each other (Ideally all should
>> be 2008-release).

> install it on one server, and the copy it to the others, that would save
> a lot of time

Hi Lars, and thanks for answering.

  The problem with the solution you suggest is that... it requires a server. Moreover, since my hosts are scattered across the world, this server would need to be world-wide accessible. I am precisely trying to avoid hosting such a "TeX Live installation server". I am trying to just re-use the great CTAN network of mirrors (to perform _identical_ TeX Live installations).

What is disappointing is that "install-tl" seems to fall very slightly short of offering this feature. All the code and infrastructure is there, except for the sneaky updates. If you compare with Linux distributions for instance, they all make a clear separation between released software and software updates, letting the end user easily flip between the two.

So no other way really?

Cheers,

Marc