[tex-live] XeTeX and ConTeXt

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 20:55:02 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:19 PM, John Hughes <jkhughes2 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I have just installed TeX Live 2008 on Windows and am having some
> problems with XeTeX and ConTeXt. The first problem is that XeTeX
> cannot access system fonts (using fontspec with xelatex). I have tried
> running fc-cache -v -r, which generates the following output:

Did you install from DVD, download, etc?

> /usr/share/fonts: caching, new cache contents: 0 fonts, 5 dirs
> /usr/share/fonts/100dpi: caching, new cache contents: 0 fonts, 0 dirs
> /usr/share/fonts/75dpi: caching, new cache contents: 0 fonts, 0 dirs
> /usr/share/fonts/cyrillic: caching, new cache contents: 0 fonts, 0 dirs
> /usr/share/fonts/encodings: caching, new cache contents: 0 fonts, 1 dirs
> /usr/share/fonts/encodings/large: caching, new cache contents: 0 fonts, 0 dirs
> /usr/share/fonts/misc: caching, new cache contents: 48 fonts, 0 dirs
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts: skipping, no such directory
> /home/username/.fonts: skipping, no such directory
> /var/cache/fontconfig: cleaning cache directory
> /home/username/.fontconfig: not cleaning non-existent cache directory
> fc-cache: succeeded
>
> It seems to be looking for Linux directories rather than Windows ones.
> How can I tell it to look in the usual Windows directories?

I vaguely recall encountering a problem with the configuration for fontconfig.
I think there are different files for linux and windows.  I wonder if the linux
paths are a default used when it doesn't find the windows-specific
configuration.   You should check carefully for remants of some old
TeX distro.  A number of other packages (gimp?) also use fontconfig,
so it is possible you are getting a binary or config file other than the
one from TL.

> My second problem is that ConTeXt's texexec doesn't do anything. The
> program is installed, but when I try to run texexec there is a short
> pause and then nothing happens. There are no error messages at all, it
> just doesn't seem to do anything.
>
> Any help on either issue would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have ruby?   There has been a lot of progress on ConteXt Mkiv
since TL2008 was created.   I find the TL version works fine for some
legacy documents, but if you want to use the new stuff you should get
the ConTeXt minimals.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia