[tex-live] Bug report - tl-install fails on Solaris due to tar assumptions

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jun 30 00:09:24 CEST 2009

    What do you mean wiht
            "@LongLink" stuff

If you run strings on pgf.tar (after uncompressing), you'll see it
contains GNU-tar-specific entries like ././@LongLink.  I believe this is
used when (typically) the name of an entries is longer than 100 bytes,
of which there are many in the pgf package.
(See src/common.h and src/create.c in the tar sources.)

I don't know what the answer is, if we can create a "POSIX" archive
which has an alternate means of handling long names.  If POSIX doesn't
support >100 chars, I guess we'll just have to require GNU tar.

I'm surprised it hasn't come up before.

karl