[tex-live] failed test for lzmadec existence on 32-bit installation with 64-bit kernel

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 23 16:55:08 CEST 2009

Dear Norbert,

thanks for your answer.

Am Dienstag, den 23.06.2009, 16:36 +0200 schrieb Norbert Preining:
> On Mo, 22 Jun 2009, Paul Menzel wrote:
> > $ ./install-tl
> > ./install-tl: Initialization failed (in setup_unix_one):
> >   could not find a usable program for lzmadec.
> > ./install-tl: Couldn't set up the necessary programs;
> >   perhaps your platform (x86_64-linux) is not supported.
> >
> > I am running a 32-bit system with a 64-bit kernel. (I moved the hard
> > drive to the new system without reinstalling everything. [1])
> >
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux foo 2.6.29-2-amd64 #1 SMP Sun May 17 20:15:04 UTC 2009 x86_64
> > GNU/Linux
>
> Ahhh ok, well that we cannot handle if you cheat. We deduce the arch/os
> from the uname, and then install-tl tried to execute
> 	tlpkg/installer/lzma/lzmadec.x86_64-linux
> which didn't succeed. You shouldn't run 64bit kernel when you are on a
> 32 bit machine? I am in fact surprised that it works!

Well, I was surprised too, but it works and is supported since the Linux
kernel (amd64) in Debian is also build for the 32-bit architecture.

If you want to fine tune your test, at least under Debian you can find
out the architecture with `dpkg --print-architecture`. A friend said,
that this is probably just a gcc call, but I could not find anything in
the manual page of gcc.

Could you add an option to intstall-tl to force a specific architecture?

Bests,

Paul