[tex-live] Documentation suggestion

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 20:02:26 CEST 2009

Karl,

When you prepare the documentation for TL2009, you might want to add a
few lines about testing the xetex installation.  In the texlive guide
for TL2008, Section 3.5 gives 7 steps for testing the installation.  I
would suggest adding something like the following:

8. If you have installed xetex, you can test it as follows:

 >  xetex opentype-info.tex
This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926...
Output written on opentype-info.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on opentype-info.log.

If you get an error message saying "Invalid fontname `Latin Modern
Roman/ICU'...", you need to configure your system so that xetex can find
the fonts shipped with texlive.  See ??? for instructions.  Here "???"
is to be replaced by a suitable link and/or a section of the TL guide
containing instructions as we've been discussing elsewhere
(http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2009-June/013396.html).

Ken