[tex-live] tlmgr --self

Uwe Siart uwe.siart at tum.de
Thu Jul 30 14:57:41 CEST 2009

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> writes:

> On Do, 30 Jul 2009, Uwe Siart wrote:
>> - because it has been unchecked during TL install
>
> Not possible, at installation time no package level selection
> can be done. ANd if you decide that a collection is not being
> installed, auto-installs into that collection will not happen, too.

Ah, ok. I did not know about this before but I agree with that.

>> - because it has been removed after TL install
>> - because it has been added to the repository after TL install
>
> Yes, these two we can distinguish by comparing the collections the
> package belongs to. If the local version of the collection does not
> mention the package, but the remote does, then it is an auto-install.
> If the local mentions it but it is not present, then it was a forced
> remove.

Same here. I did not see through this before but I fully agree.

> I still see the value of
> 	--no-auto-install
> but people should be aware that this means that packages not being
> auto-installed will be considered as forcibly removed.
>
> If you agree with that behaviour, I can implement it.

With the background of your explanations above I agree. But then I also
see the need for an option to tell tlmgr to install all removed
packages. Without it would be tedious to obtain a full installation
again after a few months of '--no-auto-install' (if such option already
exists I have overlooked it).

--
Uwe