[tex-live] Stop providing a4.sty and a4wide.sty for texlive-2009

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 30 14:53:04 CEST 2009

Robin Fairbairns schrieb:
> Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch> wrote:
>
>> Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> the name a4.sty itself appears [used to appear] once on ctan:
>>>   macros/latex209/contrib/misc/a4.sty
>>> and i've moved that one (and the corresponding a4wide.sty) to
>>> ctan:obsolete.  such a move makes little change to the way people will
>>> view the packages, but it does provide a reference point for explaining
>>> why those particular files are unreliable.
>> Couldn't we move those files to a collection obsolete, then?
>
> the 2.09 files, sure; but i didn't think texlive holds them.
>
> there are several a4.sty in texlive; one in ntgclass, and several in
> kopka
>
> i wouldn't split ntgclass.

Question: Does anyone actually use ntgclass any more? I've done a web
search as well as a Google Code search, and I've found that the usage of
these classes isn't too widespread. For example:

http://www.google.de/codesearch?q=\\documentclass(\[[^]]*\])%3F\{(artikel[123]|rapport[13]|boek3%3F|brief)\}+lang%3Atex
NTG classes, 32 results

http://www.google.de/codesearch?q=\\documentclass(\[[^]]*\])%3F\{memoir\}+lang%3Atex
Memoir, 92 results

http://www.google.de/codesearch?q=\\documentclass(\[[^]]*\])%3F\{scr(artcl|reprt|book|lettr|lttr2)\}+lang%3Atex
KOMA-Script, 1000 results

http://www.google.de/codesearch?q=\\documentclass(\[[^]]*\])%3F\{(article|report|book|letter)\}+lang%3Atex
standard classes, 27400 results

and the last update to the NTG classes was around 2004. Are these
classes still in active development and usage?