[tex-live] tlmgr --self

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 29 17:55:50 CEST 2009

2009/7/29 Ken Brown <kbrow1i at gmail.com>:
> I like the new --self option to tlmgr.  Good work!  One very minor

Thanks. That was Norbert's idea (and we all liked immediately).

> suggestion is that the documentation could be clearer about the difference
> between 'tlmgr --self --all' and 'tlmgr --force --all'.  My reading of the
> documentation is that the second command does *not* update tlmgr itself.  If
> I'm right, maybe this should be stated explicitly in the documentation for
> --force, because I could imagine people being confused by it.  If I'm wrong,
> then the documentation for --all needs to be changed.

You are right, --force does not update the infrastructure (tlmgr) any
more. We will try to make it clearer in the docs. Also,

  tlmgr update texlive.infra

will no longer work (it will issue a warning). The new --self option
will have to be given explicitly for update of critical packages (and
*all* of them will be updated).

Cheers,

Tomek