[tex-live] tlmgr bug

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez artemiog at mac.com
Tue Jul 28 19:47:01 CEST 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at 6:22 PM, T T wrote:

>>> tlmgr using installation: /usr/local/texlive/2009
>>> TeX Live (http://tug.org/texlive) version 2009-dev
>>
>> Maybe the phrase "installation location" is causing confusion.  Isn't
>
> Yeah, 'repository location' or even  'package repository location'
> would be better.
>
>> /usr/local/texlive/2009 the directory *into which* TL2009 has been
>> installed?  But tlmgr is looking for the location *from which* it
>> should get
>> the files to be installed, such as ftp://ftp.math.utah.edu/texlive/tlnet
>> ,
>> for example.
>
> Right, it has to be url/path to TL repository.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tomek

Tomek,

You are right about the location option. In fact, after changing it to
the repository I use (http://ftp.ctex.org/mirrors//texlive/tlnet)
tlmgr seems to work, i.e.:

imac:/usr/local/texlive/2009 artemio$ sudo tlmgr update --all
Password:
tlmgr: installation location http://ftp.ctex.org/mirrors//texlive/tlnet

(I think my installation is up to date). However, running the same
command with tlmgr version 144774, running into an infinite loop:

Restarting tlmgr to complete update ...
tlmgr: installation location http://ftp.ctex.org/mirrors//texlive/tlnet
Restarting tlmgr to complete update ...
tlmgr: installation location http://ftp.ctex.org/mirrors//texlive/tlnet