[tex-live] Including MiKTeX tree in TeXLive tree

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Jul 26 19:12:47 CEST 2009

On So, 26 Jul 2009, Blaise Massicot wrote:
> I am working with Ubuntu Jaunty, TeXLive 2007 and MiKTeX Tools 2.8beta2-1.

This is about Debian TeX Live, or in your case Ubuntu which justs copies
the stuff from Debian.

So best would be to ask in an Ubuntu user group, but ..

> How do I tell TeXLive that it has to look in the MiKTeX tree for the .sty,
> not only in usr/share/texmf-texlive?

Depends whether you want it system wide or only for you as user.

For you as normal user, what about simply using
	$HOME/texmf
as the tree managed by the miktex tools. $HOME/texmf == TEXMFHOME is
automatically searched.

On system level do:
edit /etc/texmf/texmf.d/05TeXMF.cnf and
add *ABOVE* the definition of TEXMF a line like
	TEXMFMIKTEX = /home/me/miktex-texmf
and add TEXMFMIKTEX to the
	TEXMF = {$TEXMFCONFIG,...}
where you think it fits best, probably before TEXMFLOCAL.

After that call as root
	update-texmf

> Is there somewhere an editable list of locations where TeXLive has to look
> in?

See above, all documented in TeX-on-Debian which is in
/usr/share/doc/tex-common/

Best wishes

Norbert

STURRY (n.,vb.)
A token run. Pedestrians who have chosen to cross a road immediately
in front of an approaching vehicle generally give a little wave and
break into a sturry. This gives the impression of hurrying without
having any practical effect on their speed whatsoever.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff