[tex-live] Personal opinion to Mactex 2009

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jul 14 23:26:04 CEST 2009

On 15 July 2009 YANG weiwei wrote:

 > Dear All,
 >
 > I have installed the pretest release of Mactex2009, and just found
 > that TeXworks were shipped together, I just tried it and compare it
 > with TeXShop.
 >
 > In my opinion, TeXworks is not so perfect to be part of mactex2009, It
 > may be incluede in the mactex extras, but should not be included in
 > mactex. TeXworks is naive, Although it  may provides a good experience
 > on other platform, it is not as good as TeXShop on Mac. It still haves
 > a long way to go to compete with TeXShop.
 >
 > Does anyone else think so?

I'm not a Mac user.  Did former versions of MacTeX provide TeXShop?

Since you ask for other people's opinions, here is mine:

I personally prefer Emacs for everything I do.  I often help newbies.
Some of them enjoy Emacs, but most of them hesitate to learn Emacs and
LaTeX at the same time, especially if the deadline is close.  Both,
TeXShop and TeXworks lower the barrier.  But I can only help people
if I'm familiar with the software they are using.  Hence, I'm very
interested in a platform independent program because I don't have
anything but Linux at home.

BTW, there is a TeXworks mailing list

If you have any suggestions, this is a more appropriate place than the
TeX Live mailing list.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25