[tex-live] How to overwrite mactex 2008 with mactex 2009?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 14 14:43:24 CEST 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 5:24 AM, YANG weiwei wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have downloaded mactex-2009 and installed it, but I also have
> mactex 2008 installed before, then, could anyone tell me how to
> erase mactex 2008? or How to delete all the files associated with
> mactex 2008?Did mactex 2009 overwrite the same-name files that both
> contained, like Ghost script?
>
> YANG Weiwei

Howdy,

First, I'd recommend that you DON'T uninstall your MacTeX-2008
distribution quite yet since MacTeX-2009 is really in a pre-release/
testing stage and there are multiple changes to come.

Second, to uninstall the 2008 distribution you need only go to /usr/
local/texlive folder (you can use the Finder's Go->Go to Folder...
command (Shift-Command-G) and enter the path above since the Finder
considers /usr/ to be invisible) and then simply throw the 2008 folder
in the trash. This may leave a few very small files around but the
huge part of that distribution will be removed. You'll need to enter
and administrator password to remove that folder.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)