[tex-live] pretest: epstopdf overwrites existing files

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jul 10 02:58:38 CEST 2009

On Jul 8, 2009, at 6:55 PM, Karl Berry wrote:

>    I think it is more consistant. Don't forget that the ultimate goal
>    of loading esptopdf in graphics.cfg (with restricted \write18
>    enabled by default) is to give the user the illusion that eps is
>    embedabble by pdflatex just like any other format, so it should
>    behave like any other format, as far as possible.
>
> Well said.

Howdy,

It appears that the automatic inclusion of epstopdf can cause problems
when using pst-pdf.

Compile the enclosed file (the example from pst-pdf) with latex (to
create the file containing the cropped graphics). Rename that file pst-
pdf-example-pics.pdf (i.e., append `-pics' to the base name). Then run
pdflatex on the original file. Under TL2008 it all works very well
while there is an error stop with TL2009.

Download the file pst-pdf-example.zip from <http:/homepage.mac.com/
herbs2>.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz