[tex-live] New version of the type1 cm fonts fails with dvipdfm

Jin-Hwan Cho chofchof at ktug.or.kr
Tue Jul 7 12:31:29 CEST 2009

On Jul 6, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 01:17:22AM +0900, Akira Kakuto wrote:
>
>>> Hm, not on miktex I think. Should I suggest it to the miktex
>>> maintainer? And if yes what exactly means "in compatible mode"?
>>
>> If dvipdfmx is called by the name dvipdfm, it tries to emulate
>> dvipdfm as far as possible.
>
> No, it fails. Package `bmpsize' is one of the packages, where
> the driver options must be correct, because it triggers
> a difference between dvipdfm and dvipdfmx, if images
> are reused:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[dvipdfm]{graphicx}
> \usepackage{bmpsize}
> \begin{document}
> \fbox{\includegraphics{s1.png}}
> \fbox{\includegraphics{s1.png}}
> \end{document}
>
> The specials for dvipdfm:
>  pdf:image @IMG1 width 24.08957pt height 24.08957pt depth 0pt (s1.png)
>  pdf:bt xscale 23.99951 yscale 23.99951
>  pdf:uxobj @IMG1
>  pdf:et
>
> The specials with option dvipdfmx:
>  pdf:image @IMG1 width 24.08957pt height 24.08957pt depth 0pt (s1.png)
>  pdf:bt xscale 1.38886125 yscale 1.38886125
>  pdf:uxobj @IMG1
>  pdf:et
>
> The example shows that dvipdfmx doesn't behave as dvipdfm
> even in "emulation mode".
>
> Yours sincerely
>  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>

You are right. DPM makes a reusable pdfximage to be width and height 1pt
(only in the case of bitmap images). Of course, DPX does not.

So I changed the CVS code to force width and height to be 1pt in
"emulation mode",
and the bmpsize package worked well with "emulation mode".

Here is a comment. The "emulation mode" is nothing but dvipdfmx except
for
handling bitmap images (as far as I know since the main maintainer of
the
emulation part is Matthias). So it may happen that more conflicts can
be found.

Anyway, Heiko Oberdiek, I checked the driver file, "bmpsize-
dvipdfmx.def".
I could not understand why you give the following value:

\def\bmpsize at dvipdfmx@factor{1.3837}

Since May 2007, DPX handles bitmap images in the same way as pdftex.
So \bmpsize at dvipdfmx@factor must be 1.0 in my opinion.
Could you check this one for me?

Best regards, ChoF.