[tex-live] pretest: epstopdf overwrites existing files

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sun Jul 5 22:10:41 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 02:13:30PM +0200, Uwe Siart wrote:

> In TL'09 pretest automatic eps-to-pdf conversion is launched even if the
> required PDF file already exists, replacing the old PDF files.

See options of package `epstopdf' or section "1.5 Configuration".
I prefer "update, prepend".

> This will not do any harm in most cases. But to my thinking a pdflatex
> run should not overwrite existing graphic files.

> Would it be possible to first test whether the required .pdf exists and
> lauch epstopdf only if necessary?

Currently there is only option "update". The pdf file isn't overwritten,
if it's newer than the eps file. Or with option "append", it searches
for PDF files first (and doesn't trigger the conversion if the PDF
file exists.)

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>