[tex-live] pretest: epstopdf overwrites existing files

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 17:09:57 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Daniel
Becker<daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de> wrote:

> Am 05.07.2009 um 14:13 schrieb Uwe Siart:
>
>> In TL'09 pretest automatic eps-to-pdf conversion is launched even if
>> the
>> required PDF file already exists, replacing the old PDF files.
>>
>> This will not do any harm in most cases. But to my thinking a pdflatex
>> run should not overwrite existing graphic files.
>>
>> Would it be possible to first test whether the required .pdf exists
>> and
>> lauch epstopdf only if necessary?
>
> hm - epstopdf.sty (the package, not the script) can handle this
> (conversion only when needed, i.e. pdf is missing or eps has been
> updated). It is also important whether your includegraphics-command is
> with or without file extension.

Testing for "eps newer than pdf" is not adequate -- some workflows produce
pdf figures which are converted to eps to support generating .dvi, so it can
be normal to have eps newer than pdf.

> I couldn't read that discussion mentioned earlier (login required,
> registration not working for me).

I was able to view Karl's original post earlier, but now I get

"Your authentication ticket has expired. Please log in again to continue."

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia