[tex-live] tlmgr and manual updates

Uwe Siart uwe.siart at tum.de
Fri Jul 3 08:47:16 CEST 2009

Dear all,

I'm just wondering how tlmgr would behave in the following scenario:

1) Version 1.0 of package 'foo' is installed in TL. This version has 10
   files in /texmf/tex/latex/foo/.

2) Version 1.1 of package 'foo' is released. I'm in desperate need of
   this version but TL online update is temporarily unavailable for some
   reason. So I go ahead, grab the files from CTAN, and put them all in
   their right place in my main texmf tree. But this version now has 15
   files in /texmf/tex/latex/foo/.

3) Version 1.2 of package 'foo' is released and meanwhile TL online
   update is back again. So I run tlmgr to update 'foo'. But version 3.0
   again has only 10 files in /texmf/tex/latex/foo/.

Will tlmgr delete all files of version 2.0 or will it just care about
the 10 files of version 1.0 so that 5 unused files would remain forever?

And secondly, does this mean that one should never ever update files in
the main tree manually?

--
Uwe