[tex-live] testing tlmgr in tlcritical

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 13:02:21 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
> Norbert and I have pushed out a fairly major new update to tlmgr in the
> tlcritical repo.  Anyone who likes to live on the bleeding edge, please
> try it.

 tlmgr -location ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlcritical update bin-texlive
texlive.infra

(worked well)

tlmgr update --all

(worked well)

[1/3] update: cmll (7340 -> 11958) ... done

New [1/3] etc ("progress bar")
tlmgr --gui (seems to work faster but I have not use it for a long time)

Tested: darwin, x86_64-linux

> Most of the changes are only internal, such as largely rewriting the
> paper-size setting code.  User-visible changes include:
>
> - a new action symlinks which adds or remove symlinks in the binary,
>  man, and info directories like the install does.  This is not called
>  automatically, since we felt tampering with system directories on our
>  own was a bad idea.

Absolutely. Say on MacOSX Richard Koch installer simply creates one symlink
 /usr/texbin -> /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin/

while RH Linux comes with teTeX preinstalled  to /usr/bin (so those
who switch to TL2008 should add
/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/x86_64-linux/ to the path before
/usr/bin); messing up with symlinks without knowing all the details
may create make a bloody mess.

Victor