[tex-live] TexLive 2008 installation problems

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 11:10:52 CET 2009

2009/1/22 Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
> On 21 January 2009 Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>  > 2009/1/21 Manuel P?gouri?-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr>:
>  >> Unfortunately, I don't undestand install-tl enough to find a good place
>  >> to put this test and suggest a patch.
>  >>
>  > $lzmadec = full path to lzmadec on the DVD
>  > if (-r $lzmadec && !-x $lzmadec) {
>  >   die "Mount your DVD without the 'noexec' option.\n";
>  > }
>
> Hi Zdenek,
> is lzmadec the only program which suffers from the 'noexec' flag?

I do not know whether anything else is run directly from the DVD.

> For casual users re-mounting the DVD is probably not straightforward
> and an error message is not sufficient.  I'm sure that more
> explanations are needed.  Don't even know whether re-mounting without
> 'noexec' can always be accomplished without root permissions on all
> the platforms supported by TeX Live.

I forgot that not every user knows the root password. Remounting
without noexec might be tricky. For instance, in RHEL4 default
configuraton, /etc/fstab is modified by hal daemon and DVD is
automatically mounted by gnome. The user can disable automounting in
his or her gnome preferences but hal daemon can be stopped or
reconfigured by root only. Thus it seems to me as the best solution to
copy lzmadec as well as other executables needed during installation
to some temporary directory, e.g. texmf-var/tmp, and run them from
there.

>  > $lzmadec = full path to lzmadec on the DVD
>  > if (-r $lzmadec && !-x $lzmadec) {
>
> Well, you obviously proved that the 'noexec' problem can be detected
> easily.  It only occurs on Unix, which makes it easier to provide a
> solution.  What about simply copying the program to a temporary
> directory, fix file permissions, and invoke it from there?
>
> Regards,
>  Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-3373112
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz