[tex-live] oversimplyfied test for lzmadec existence

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jan 18 19:48:40 CET 2009

[Combining replies.]

    I just wondered why it shouldn't be possible to e.g. list the supported
    archs (`tlmgr arch list') just because the arch I'm running tlmgr on is
    not supported...

In general, the first thing we do is see if the programs exist.
Ideally it would happen on the fly when the programs are actually
needed, but that is not the reality and I don't think it would be easy.
(Feel free to delve into it, though.)

    Hmm, but I think we already reached a [1]consensus on this...

Ah, true.  And I think we installed your patch for it (from
http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2008-October/018895.html) some time ago.

    Maybe TL should support an additional "other" architecture:

Sounds reasonable.  Would you like to make a patch for that?

    The attached patch changes this behaviour (in a backward compatible way,
    of course ;-)) to try to run the program even if the absolute path is
    not given.

I installed your patch, modulo some cosmetics.

Thanks,
Karl