[tex-live] Texlive installation on Linux

Claudio Beccari claudio.beccari at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 16:44:12 CET 2009

Dear friends,
I was doubtful to write anything about this point; with all the
"penguins" around the world receiving the TL DVD I imagine you were
receiving a lot of mail regarding the difficulties of installing TL from
the DVD.

The point is that the DVD is not writable, while, apparently, the setup
program requires to write down some information. Probably this "feature"
has alrady been corrected, but I wanted to let you know, because on my
Windows laptop I activated ProTeX and the installation took a lot of
time because the archives to load and decompress were so many, that it
took a lot of time; I do't know exactly, because meanwhile I went to
lunch and when I went back the procedure was ended.

On my other MacBookPro laptop the MacTeX procedure/installer was very
fast and I had no problems at all.

On my third laptop that runs Kubuntu, I spent severat hours trying to
figure out what was wrong; I eventually downloaded a fresh setup
executable from CTAN and pointed to the DVD as the place where to make
the installation from, and finally everything ran correctly. The
solution, after all, was simple, but a couple of words in the
installlation documentation might have been very helpful and time saving.

Thank you for the wanderful work you are doing.

Claudio Beccari