[tex-live] install-lt: about -profile and -location

fkater at googlemail.com fkater at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 9 21:15:50 CET 2009

Hi all,

thanks for the installer script install-lt, I've got some
experiences to share, though.

I failed to create a profile (optionally with a helper
script around intall-tl) to create a linux/win32 cross
platform texlive version from a linux host. And I try to
avoid large downloads (DVD / ISO).

I ran into two problems:

I run "install-lt -profile my_profile" but it seems that I
cannot set multiple platforms/binaries by a profile.
Instead only the automatically detected platform is used.

Secondly, it seems to be hard to re-use already downloaded
*.tar.lzma files. Imagine that I have a profile and once
created a set of 800 packages. Then the temp files were
deleted automatically (no chance to keep them? So I hurried
up to copy them before the installation was over).
Imagine: My profile was enhanced to 850 packages: All are
downloaded again (I had to create a temp dir and copy all
existing *tar.lzma files here, however, had to hurry up
again to get the hands on the last 50 added one's before the
script was over and deleted all.)

The '-location' option does not seem to be
appropriate here since it expects a complete schema (which,
in the minimal case, does not help to install *additional*
things, and, in the 'full' case is simply not present at
install time).

Thank You!
 Felix