[tex-live] Strange missing resource

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Feb 26 23:53:59 CET 2009

Karl Berry wrote:
>     There is, as far as I can tell, no copy of "texbook.tex"
>     included.  Is this intentional,
>
> Yes.
>
>     and if not, would it be possible to add it ?
>
> No.  As I expect you know, Knuth grants no permission to run
> texbook.tex, let alone modify and republish it.

But I'm not proposing that we (that is, The TeX Live team)
run, modify or republish it.  What I /am/ suggesting is that
it be included in TeX Live, just as it is included in CTAN.
To be honest, I do not understand why you cite "run"ing,
"modify"ing or "republish"ing, since I was proposing none
of those.  I was proposing /distributing/, which is
exactly what CTAN does.

> Yes.  It is already there: texmf-doc/doc/english/texbytopic.

Ah.  Sadly TeXdoc fails to find it, either by

	TeXdoc Eijkhout

		or

	TeXdoc Topic

:-(