[tex-live] TeXLive2008 and Windows

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Feb 25 16:28:34 CET 2009

T T a écrit :
>> * an editor that is easy to handle
>
> LEd, TeXnicCenter and WinShell would be my top recommendations and, if
> you want to shell out some cash, you may also consider WinEdt.

TeXmaker (cross-platform) may be worth considering, too.

> No good choices here, I'm afraid. Currently, the only viewer
> supporting synctex is SumatraPDF, but this one has rather patchy
> support for PDF specification and requires an editor supporting DDE to
> take adventage of synctex---that leaves TeXnicCenter & WinEdt).

By the way, you don't absolutely need your editor to handle DDE itself,
you can delagate this to some script. A friend of mine (Cc-ed) recently
wrote a patch for vim latex-suite in order to use the synchronisation
features of pdftex and sumatraPDF, using a Pythin script to do the DDE
part of the job (gvim obviously doesn't have built-in support for DDE).

Manuel.

PS: the python script and the requirements.

-- BEGIN fwdsumatra.py
#!/usr/bin/python

# Part of Latex-Suite
#
# Copyright: Julien Cornebise
# Date: February 20, 2009
#   This file calls ForwardSearch DDE function of SumatraPDF

import sys
import win32ui
import dde

# Set to 0 to prevent SumatraPDF from raising, to 1 to raise it
raiseWindow = 1

USAGE_TEXT = """
Usage: fwdsumatra.py <pdf_file> <source_file> <line_number>
"""

def usage():
    print USAGE_TEXT
    sys.exit(-1)

def main(pdf,tex,line):
    # Connect to SumatraPDF
    server = dde.CreateServer()
    server.Create("LatexSuite")
    conversation = dde.CreateConversation(server)
    conversation.ConnectTo("SUMATRA", "control")
    # Build the DDE call

execString='[ForwardSearch("'+pdf+'","'+tex+'",'+line+',0,0,'+str(raiseWindow)+')'
    # Call !
    conversation.Exec(execString)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    if len(sys.argv) != 4:
        usage()

    main(sys.argv[1],sys.argv[2],sys.argv[3])
-- END fwdsumatra.py

3. Python with "Python for Windows" extension
	(available at http://www.python.org/download/windows/ and
	http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/, respectively)
	(tested with Python 2.6 and Build 212, respectively)