[tex-live] tlinfra update done

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 16 03:12:00 CET 2009

2009/2/16 Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>:
>    Do you mean that 4NT should be officially supported?
>
> Seems to me updates should work if the user's shell is 4NT, since they
> used to do so.

Was this explicitly intended or just a happy coincidence so far?

> Is it possible to explicitly force (y)our scripts to be interpreted by
> cmd.exe?  Else, even if you make them work under 4NT, it seems we would
> run afoul if the user has yet some other shell, as Dan mentioned.

As long as cmd.exe is on the path I can call it directly from
tlmgr.bat, which would leave only tlmgr.bat to worry about.

As for porting to 4NT that would be a no from me for two reasons:
a) I have no means to test it, so somebody else would have to do it
b) personally, I think it's counterproductive; I prefer to spend that
time adding some functionality that is beneficial to more than a
handful of users, who can be expected to have enough expertise to work
around it anyway.

There is currently no support for win9x systems, which leaves only NT
based systems and they all support cmd.exe across the board. So there
is only one interpreter to worry about. Are there any compelling
reasons to provide support for 3rd party interpreters?

Tomek