[tex-live] Fwd: tlmgr on Ubuntu linux?

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Mon Feb 9 03:31:58 CET 2009

On  8 Feb, 2009, at 19:54, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> Axel E. Retif a écrit :
>> To update TeX Live on Ubuntu, I have to use root terminal ---sudo
>> is not
>> enough in a regular terminal, unlike Mac OS X. I don't know why.
>> But it
>> works.

> The other option is to chown <youruser> your all TeX Live tree and
> then
> run everything as this user.

I can't say why (you might say there is no reason really), but I
rather have the texlive directory owned by root, as in Mac OS (that
would be the not-so-reasonable reason): in my Mac OS machines /usr/
local/texlive is owned by root (as a matter of fact, all /usr/local is
owned by root).

> If you choose to do updates from your root account, be careful to set
> the PATH for this account too.

I still don't understand Ubuntu very well, but the thing is I managed
to set the PATH properly (I didn't install symlinks because I'm
waiting for Debian TeX Live 2008, so I didn't want to install anything
outside the texlive directory); that is, without symlinks ``which
latex'' and ``which kpsewhich'' find them in a regular terminal, but
for updating ``sudo tlmgr update --all'' doesn't work (unlike Mac OS):
I get the same ``kpsewhich: not found'' Nicolas got.

Therefore, I have to use Root Terminal (found in System Tools).

Best,

Axel