[tex-live] packages with characters > 127

Elie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Thu Dec 31 14:01:10 CET 2009

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard a écrit :
> David Kastrup a écrit :
>
>> I think that it is reasonable to have the _LaTeX_ format variant relying
>> on LuaTeX to switch its input to byte-transparent by default, and have a
>> specific inputenc package (with a different name) for LuaTeX revert this
>> setting.
>>
>> Then the standard inputenc (and all files) will work just as good or bad
>> as they do on other engines (namely using active characters and other
>> contraptions), and a LuaTeX-specific inputencl or whatever is free to
>> work better.
>>

> I like the idea. I'd like to review, improve and test luainputenc a bit more,
> and then discuss this idea on latex-l.

I don't like the idea (if I understand it correctly) unless you rename
the format: people who want to use the native utf8 shouldn't need to
\usepackage{unactivatelatextrick}, it should be the default as it is for
the engine, like under XeTeX... For me everything is fine as it is now,
and will be even better when almost all packages will use ^^xx instead
of 8-bit representation in their code.

The idea (on another branch of the thread) to make package writers do a
\MyFileIsEncodedIn{} is, I think, useless as most new packages are
UTF-8, and old packages won't want to use it... it may fix one very old
package or two, but it's not worth the trouble.
--
Elie