[tex-live] is TEXINPUTS obsolete?

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Dec 30 20:49:51 CET 2009

Dan Drake a écrit :
> I've seen a couple references online ([1], [2]) that say the use of the
> environment variable TEXINPUTS is obsolete.

Out of curiosity, I had a look at this reference (both are the same). The
phrasing of the original bugreport is quite misleading, but the bug reported was
real: po4a was assuming that the environment variable TEXINPUTS is always set.
It is of course wrong to assume that, and one should always use kpsewhich in
order to get the actual value of such parameters instead of looking for them in
the environment.

So, setting TEXINPUTS when one needs to is not obsolete nor deprecated, but
assuming it is always set in the environment is just plain wrong.

Manuel.